Tuesday, May 8, 2018

2017-2018 Memorable Moment #5: Coach Sisti and the Lakers get their 450th Win

I'm counting down the memorable moments of the Mercyhurst hockey season. Here are links to moment 10, moment 9, moment 8, moment 7, moment 6.

Memorable moment #5: Sisti Earns 450th career win, in 2-1 OT win over Syracuse on December 9, 2017.

On December 9th vs CHA opponent Syracuse, Mercyhurst was down 1-0 going into the third. Emma Nuutinen scored in the third period to make it 1-1, then she scored again in overtime to win it. The win put Mercyhurst ahead of Syracuse in the standings, second to Robert Morris University. The winning goal is here (has sound):


The game marked Head Coach Sisti's 450th career win, all at Mercyhurst. By the end of the year he was at 462 wins, 2nd all-time for women's division one NCAA hockey. Katie Stone of Harvard is currently the leader with 464 wins, Mark Johnson of Wisconsin is 3rd with 459 wins. Shannon Miller, formerly the University of Minnesota-Duluth coach, had 383 wins and is currently 4th all time in wins.

I didn't watch the Syracuse game, so that's about all I can tell you about win 450. Interestingly, it was a lot like win #50. Win #50 was at St. Cloud in 2001, the last series before Christmas. We were down 1-0 going into the third. We tied it in the third, and won 2-1 in overtime. It was the only college overtime goal I ever scored. I have no celebration game other than to put my arms in the air and stand there yelling and cheering, so our team celebrated right there just above the goalie's crease. Coach kind of teased us about that, but whatever. We were having fun.

Us players had no idea that it was the program's fiftieth win, but Coach did, and he told us so post game, while tossing the game puck off the dressing room wall. He asked me where I shot the puck, trying to prove a point. Low and on net. It wasn't a pretty goal, was nothing like the breakaway goal in win #450, but it worked.

I don't know Coach's thoughts on 450 wins, though I'd be curious to hear them. Myself, reflecting on what the program has done in 19 years, first off I am in awe of the consistency of the winning and the heights the program climbed to, at times. What an accomplishment by the players, coaches, administration and all who support the team.

But the thing that brings me the most happiness and has the greatest impact on me is thinking about the number of women who had the opportunity to get to play college hockey, and be part of a first class, well run program. The university does its best for its hockey programs, and I always felt that the school cared as much about the women's team as it did the men's. Giving an opportunity, doing your best for the players, promoting equality; these are some things I love about the school and program.

Obviously, Coach is a big part of that. Because of that, I couldn't be happier for his continued success. Congrats on 450, and go get the next win, Lakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment